EPA Announces Performance Track Public Meetings

To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
From: Spitzer.Marty@epamail.epa.gov
Subject: EPA Announces Performance Track Public Meetings

Hi folks.  It's been some time since I've been in touch with many of yo=
u through
the list serves, but I wanted to send you the following invitation from=
Richard
Farrell, EPA's Associate Administrator in the Office of Policy, Economi=
cs and
Innovation.  The text of the e-mail may also be found in a wordperfect =
file
attached at the end of this e-mail.   My apologies for cross postings.

Marty

PLEASE NOTE A TEMPORARY CHANGE TO THE WEB SITE ADDRESS LISTED IN THE ME=
MO BELOW.
DUE TO AN UPGRADE IN EPA'S WEB SITE SECURITY, BACKGROUND INFORMATION FO=
R THE
PERFORMANCE TRACK PUBLIC MEETINGS WILL INSTEAD BE POSTED AT THE FOLLOWI=
NG WEB
ADDRESS BEGINNING EARLY NEXT WEEK:

<http://www.marasconewton.com/performance_track>www.marasconewton.com/perfo
rmance_track

Also note the underscore between "performance" and "track"
_______________________________________________________________________=
________________________________

                                   February 23, 2000

Dear Friend,

     It is my pleasure to invite you to participate in public meetings =
to help
us develop and launch a national Performance Track Program.  These firs=
t two
public meetings will be half-day sessions held in Washington, DC on Mar=
ch 15 and
21, 2000 (see enclosed RSVP form).  You need only attend one of the hal=
f-day
meetings, since both have the same format and are being offered one wee=
k apart
to accommodate your schedule.  Additional sessions will be held in othe=
r Regions
(including Boston and California) in late March and early April.  Later=
in the
spring we expect to hold another session in Washington, DC.

     The Environmental Protection Agency committed to developing a nati=
onal
Performance Track program ?to motivate and reward top environmental per=
formance?
in the Agency?s Aiming for Excellence report published last July.   The=
report
was developed in consultation with many stakeholders and partners, and =
reflects
a widespread and increasingly longstanding consensus that a performance=
track
program is both possible and desirable.

     Administrator Browner is making this program the centerpiece of ou=
reinvention activities for this year because it is the culmination of m=
any of
EPA?s reinvention pilot projects?such as the Common Sense Initiative, t=
he
Environmental Leadership Program, Star Track, and Sustainable Industrie=
s to name
a few.  Moreover, it builds upon the experience gained in several excel=
lent
programs that are under development in the states, such as Oregon, New =
Jersey
and Wisconsin.

     Using these experiences, we are pulling together an initial propos=
al to
present for your reaction and input at the meetings.  Specifically, we =
are
considering a two track program.  The first track, as currently envisio=
ned,
would offer a standard package of incentives, including public recognit=
ion, for
facilities that meet certain performance levels.  These performance lev=
els are
likely to include having a sustained record of compliance, an environme=
ntal
management system in place, measures for demonstrating environmental
performance, and a system for reporting performance to the public.  We =
are
committed to maintaining low transaction costs so that all deserving sm=
all and
large facilities may participate.  Following your input and guidance, w=
e are
committed to launching this first phase of the Performance Track in Jun=
e, 2000.

     With the first track up and running, we want to work with you thro=
ugh the
next year to  develop a second track that recognizes and gives incentiv=
es to
facilities that routinely go well beyond the above performance criteria=
.
Because this group will be smaller, we anticipate being able to offer h=
igher
levels of public recognition and tailored incentives.  The design of th=
e higher
track will begin in earnest with your participation this summer.

     Initial background and logistics material for the meetings will be=
posted
on EPA?s web site
<http://www.epa.gov/reinvent/performancetrack>www.epa.gov/reinvent/performan
cetrack by February 28.=
  A draft
agenda and a more detailed proposal for the first track will be availab=
le on the
web site by March 7.  If you do not have web access, please let us know=
, and we
will make sure you receive relevant materials.  This web site will be u=
pdated
regularly throughout development of the program.

     To help us ensure we have adequate facilities for the meetings, pl=
ease RSVP
directly to John Lingelbach, of the company Decisions & Agreements, LLC=
.  As the
organizer and facilitator for the meetings, John will also answer your =
logistics
questions.  John may be reached by e-mail at  lingelbach@aol.com, or by=
phone at
(303) 843-0900.

     For additional information, please contact Marty Spitzer, my senio=
r policy
advisor.  Marty may be reached by e-mail at Spitzer.Marty@epa.gov  or b=
y phone
at (202) 260-4034.