GLIN==> Water exports and Quebec

Posted on behalf of Yvan Bédard <yvan.bedard@int.mri.gouv.qc.ca>

---
The Québec government plans to forbid once and for all any bulk exports of
water, whether by truck, by ship or by diversion canal. Minister of State
for the Environment and Water André Boisclair explained to the press
yesterday that water cannot be seen as an ordinary commodity and that Québec
must act as a fiduciary for future generations. "Our water is part of our
patrimony and we are far from sure that bulk withdrawals will not have an
adverse effect on our ecosystems," the Minister declared. In fact, he is
preparing to table a bill that will make the moratorium decreed in 1999 a
permanent one. Mr. Boisclair explained that the bill would allow for certain
exceptions, such as the sale of water in 20-litre or smaller containers. In
addition, the Minister will have to report to the government every five
years on the application of the law.

For a related article from today's Le Devoir newspaper, see
http://www.ledevoir.com/public/client-old/news-webview.jsp?newsid=6238 This
article is in French. For a quick English translation, visit
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn and use the "Translate Web
Page" option.